Sunday, July 22, 2007

Feeling slightly human again



Last Sunday, I was asked to volunteer in the youth group at our church, specifically with the girls. On Monday, the girls left to go to a 3+ day camp in the mountains. For those of you who do not know how Girls Camp works, around here it is not tent camping. The girls sleep in cabins, and we spend a lot of time just having fun. So, when they asked me to go along, I wasn't too worried. After all, I have a daughter going and it didn't sound so hard. (I attended a Girls Camp 5 years in a row as a kid, it just wasn't that much work. . .)

Holy Cow! It takes a lot of effort to keep 17 girls on schedule and entertained for 3+ days. And, I wasn't even the one in charge! I didn't do most of the work, just helped out here and there. I came home dead beat from complete and utter lack of sleep.

But let's spend a moment on what I came home to. . . My children, under the care of Dad, met me at the door in ragged pants, wearing stained shirts and messy hands and faces. There were thumb tacks inside the front door, on the floor, every last scrap of junk food was devoured (Trust me, it should have lasted WAY longer than 3 days), and every room in the house was covered in stuff and garbage. Needless to say, I was less than pleased. And then, I went out back to find the dogs had not been fed. One son was still in the clothes he had been wearing when I saw him last on Monday.

Long story short. . .as a result of my displeasure regarding the Lord of the Flies week, there has been a recent flurry of sorting, organizing and decluttering. I do believe our house guests will be able to make it in the door when they get here on Tuesday. And, my kitchen has a fresh coat of paint.

No comments: